Table of Contents
How do you define a research question?
- A research question is ‘a question that a research project sets out to answer’.
- To form a research question, one must determine what type of study will be conducted such as a qualitative, quantitative, or mixed study.
- The answer to a research question will help address a research problem or question.
What are good explanation topics?
15 Engaging Explanatory Writing Prompts
- Defining Friendship. Everyone needs friends. What qualities make someone a good friend?
- A Job for Me. People do all kinds of jobs. Some people build.
- An Admirable Person. We all have people we admire.
- Sweet or Spicy? Most people have a favorite food.
- My Ideal Home. Most people can imagine a dream home.
How do you define a topic sentence?
Every paragraph should include a topic sentence that identifies the main idea of the paragraph. A topic sentence also states the point the writer wishes to make about that subject. Generally, the topic sentence appears at the beginning of the paragraph. It is often the paragraph’s very first sentence.
What is the difference between a topic and a topic sentence?
The topic is the general subject of a paragraph or essay. Topics are simple and are described with just a word or a phrase. The main idea is a complete sentence; it includes the topic and what the author wants to say about it. If the author states the main idea in his paragraph it is called a topic sentence.
What are the elements of a topic sentence?
The topic sentence generally is composed of two parts: (a) the topic itself and (b) the controlling idea. Writing effective topic sentences, however, involves more than merely stating the subject of the paragraph. A good topic sentence is specific and well focused, guiding the entire paragraph.
What are the three important functions of a topic sentence?
A topic sentence has several important functions: it substantiates or supports an essay’s thesis statement; it unifies the content of a paragraph and directs the order of the sentences; and it advises the reader of the subject to be discussed and how the paragraph will discuss it.